Requirements of Documentation

We will require appropriate evidence of a disability, medical condition or specific learning difficulty before we can consider putting in place individual reasonable adjustments (including exam arrangements).

Please send all documentation to us. Our contact details are below.

Student Wellbeing and Inclusion Service

For Higher Education Applicants (e.g. Degree and Postgraduate)


Information Sharing

University College staff with authorised access to information will be aware that you have a declaration on your application form. If you provide us with a copy of medical evidence we will not share this documentation with any other department outside of Student Wellbeing and Inclusion, except in specific circumstances. An example of this would be if the information/documentation you give to us also supports your accommodation request, we will provide the Accommodation Team with a copy in order to save you doing this in duplicate or if your condition requires us to consider health and safety risk assessments etc.

Evidence for Examination Access Arrangements

You will be required to send evidence to the HE Disability Team if you require exam access arrangements for example, extra time, supervised rest breaks, exam in a smaller room.

Please be aware that all exam access arrangements need to be agreed 28 days before the exam period begins.

What evidence is required?

If you have a specific learning difficulty (e.g. Dyslexia, Dyscalculia or Dyspraxia, ADHD)

Please provide us with a report confirming your diagnosis.

You will need to provide an appropriate diagnostic assessment from a registered chartered educational psychologist or specialist teacher (holding a current practising certificate for assessing specific learning difficulties, issued by their relevant professional association) based on psychometric testing. For Disabled Students Allowances’ (DSA) applications (HE Applicants Only), the assessment should meet the SpLD Standards Committee Guidelines at:

If you're not sure if your report meets these requirements, or you don't have a report, please get in touch with us.

If you have a Disability, Medical Condition or a Mental Health Difficulty (e.g. Anxiety, Depression, Schizophrenia)

Please provide us with evidence from your GP or other medical professional (e.g. consultant, psychiatric nurse) confirming your diagnosis.

Documentation should:

  • be in the format of a letter, medical evidence template or report, must be signed with a clear written statement of who has signed the letter on letter headed paper, or have the practice stamp on it;
  • be written in legible English and signed by the health professional; and include the following information:
  • the diagnosis or working diagnosis (e.g. if on waiting list).
  • main symptoms of the condition.
  • the duration of the symptoms when known i.e. has it lasted at least 12 months, is it likely to last for at least 12 months, or is it likely to last for the rest of your life.
  • details, where appropriate, of any medication and any reported side effects.
  • the impact of the condition on day-to-day activities.

You can also ask your GP or another medical professional to complete the medical evidence form

Contacting an external third party:

In accordance with Data Protection consent, the Disability Support Team staff members cannot contact an external third party (e.g. G.P.) on a student’s behalf to obtain documentation to verify a disability. Students are responsible for contacting the appropriate professional and for meeting the cost of production of appropriate documentation

If you do not have suitable evidence?

We can also help before you have evidence. For example, we can:

  • Provide advice on how to obtain suitable evidence.
  • Signpost you to useful facilities and support.
  • Outline the type of support you can expect to receive.
  • Discuss any questions or concerns you have about providing medical evidence.

If you have Disabled Students Allowances (DSA)

If you provide a DSA Assessment of Needs report, you are not required to provide additional medical evidence as the report includes reference to the evidence provided to the funding body. However, you will need to provide us with additional evidence if you request adjustments which are not recommended in the report e.g. Educational Psychologists’ Report for exam arrangements, evidence in line with that listed above may be required.

Please send your DSA Assessment of Needs report and all Funding Body letters of entitlement to

More information on eligibility and applying for DSA can be found here: