Preparing to come to the UK

The British Council has produced the following publication to provide students with information you need to know and do before leaving home, along with advice about arriving in the UK, settling in and getting on with making the most of being a student in the UK.

First steps - a pre-departure guide for international students coming to the UK

As students prepare to study in the UK, Border Force has developed the following publication to provide students with information to make sure you have everything you need for a smooth arrival.

Guide to faster travel through the UK border

Use the eGates for quicker entry

There are over 250 eGates in place at 15 air and rail ports in the UK to enable quicker travel into the UK.

You can normally use eGates if you:

  • have a biometric symbol on the cover of your passport
  • are aged 12+ (12 to 17 year olds must be accompanied by an adult)
  • are either:
    • a British citizen
    • a national of an EU country, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the USA
    • a member of the Registered Traveller Service

Those travelling with ID cards cannot use the eGates.

eGates eligibility and how to use the eGates

Student arrivals: 10 top tips

Travelling to Writtle University College

International Student Calculator

Please see below link to a website that has been developed by Brightside, an independent education charity. They aim to help students prepare for the financial side of UK higher education. The site provides international students with an interactive guide to living costs, as well as useful info and student profiles. By using this tool and building your own budget, we hope that you will feel well prepared for UK study and confident about managing your money. Thanks to UKCISA and the students who helped Brightside develop it. We hope that you enjoy using it!

International Student Calculator

Keeping in Touch with Home

We're sure you'll make a lot of new friends on campus while you're living and studying with us at Writtle University College, but you will of course want to keep in touch with your friends and family back home. Fortunately there are some great ways to keep in touch for less - and some of the best ways are completely free. Please read the attached document prepared for us by the independent price comparison website cable.

European Health Insurance Card (for EU Nationals only)

The European Health Insurance Card makes it easier for people from the European Union to access healthcare services during temporary visits abroad. Now that you are preparing to come to Writtle University College for your studies remember to obtain a card. It will help save you time, hassle and money if you fall ill or suffer an injury during you time in the UK. If you are a Romanian or Bulgarian National you may also be able to use this card during any application for a temporary work permit. The following website gives further information and details on how to apply from your home country.

European Health Insurance Card - National Information and Contacts

International Admissions Process & Requirements