Level 3 Diploma in Work-Based Animal Care
About the Course
This full-time or part-time City & Guilds Level 3 Work-based Animal Care course is ideal if you've worked in animal care for some time or are working in or towards a supervisory role or have previously completed a level 2. You want to show that you have the skills you need to do your job well, perhaps as part of your professional development or to prepare for higher-level training.
Learners will gain practical skills, develop sound working practices, and essential industry knowledge.
Example of Units Taught
- Manage the work of volunteers
- Plan, supervise and control the movement of animals
- Promote, monitor and maintain health, safety and security of the workplace
- Plan, monitor and evaluate the accommodation of animals
The following information provides students with the entry requirements for this particular course.
- GCSEs in Maths and English at Grade 4 or higher, plus ideally GCSE Science at grade 4 or higher
- Level 2 in animal related qualification and/or significant experience within the industry
- Employment part-time or apprenticeship or voluntary placement within the animal industry
- Candidates must be in a supervisory role or working towards
- Provide a suitable reference from the workplace
Alternative qualifications or experience will be considered on application.
Method of Assessment
To gain this qualification, candidates must successfully achieve the following assessments:
- Two externally set exams, sat under examination conditions
- Portfolio of evidence
- 1 externally set and internally marked assignment
After Completion of Your Course...
Progression: You may wish to progress onto further learning within Higher Education. You could study courses such as:
- Certificate or Diploma of Higher Education in Animal Studies/Management/Science
- BSc (Hons) in Animal Science
- BSc (Hons) in Animal Management
Employment: On completion, it is likely that you will enter the industry by working within an animal welfare organisation, a veterinary practice, a wildlife park or perhaps a business such as a pet store, feed company or dog grooming salon. As you will have gained a breadth and depth of skills and knowledge over a wide range of units, you could progress within work to the following roles:
- Animal Centre/Unit Manager
- Pet Store Manager
- Kennel & Cattery Supervisor/Manger
- Trainee zoo keeper
- Student Veterinary Nurse