About the Course
This course is ideal for those looking to start a career within the dog grooming industry.
These lessons will take place in a classroom and will consist of:
- Handling and control to ensure safety at all times
- Tools and equipment - including the correct use
- General care and condition
- Skin conditions
- Ears and eyes
- Skin and nails
- First aid for dogs
- Infectious diseases
- Kennel club breeds
- Planning, design
Practical lessons take place in the colleges commercially run dog grooming parlour, students get a hands on approach to see how a parlour would be run.
Skills taught during practical lessons for a variety of breeds are:
- Scissor styling
- Hand stripping
The following information provides students with the entry requirements for this particular course.
Applicants must hold the Level 2 Certificate for Dog Grooming assistant to start this qualification.
The qualification covers the skills you will need to progress to work as a Professional Dog Groomer.
Mandatory content covers:
- Health and safety, legislation and codes of practice for the dog grooming industry
- Styling and finishing a dog
- Health checking and handing a dog in a dog grooming environment
- Customer service and record keeping in a dog grooming environment
A requirement for the course is that you have at least 1 day a week in a grooming parlour.
Method of Assessment
- Externally set and marked written exam
- Practical assessments carried out under exam conditions