Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Science
Do you have a particular interest in animals and science? New for 2021-22, Writtle University College (WUC) is pleased to offer the Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Science.
This advanced level course gives you the opportunity to learn about and build on the essentials of working with animals and the fundamentals of animal science. It is designed to provide you with a very wide range of specialist technical practical skills and detailed knowledge and understanding which will equip you to seek a diverse range of employment opportunities, or to further learning and training within the animal care, management and science industries.
You will learn how to work safely around animals, be responsible for the planning and carrying out animal husbandry health and handling, inheritance and genetics, cell biology, biochemistry and microbiology or fish biology. You will also learn about animal behaviour, animal breeds and welfare and business skills.
This qualification consists of the following mandatory and selected optional specialist units.
The proportion of mandatory content ensures that all learners are following a coherent programme of study and acquiring the knowledge, understanding and skills that will be recognised and valued.
- Principles of Health and Safety
- Undertake and Review Work Related Experience in the Land-based Industries
- Animal Health and Husbandry
- Animal Feeding and Nutrition
- Animal Behaviour and Communication
- Biological Systems of Animals
- Animal Welfare and Breeding
- Animal Nursing
- Fundamentals of Science
- Chemistry for Biological Technicians
- Cell Biology and Genetics
- Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Science Investigation and Report Writing
- Business Management in the Land-Based Sector
- Undertake Investigative Project in the Land-based Sector
Optional Specialist Units
Students will study four selected optional specialist units from the following.
- Wildlife and Ecology Conservation
- Wildlife Management and Rehabilitation
- Exotic Animal Health and Husbandry
- Animal Training
- Aquatics Welfare and Breed Development
- Avian Health and Husbandry
- Zoological Collections
- Farm Livestock Husbandry and Welfare
- Inheritance and Genetics
- Small Animal Rehabilitation
- Fish Biology
- Environmental Interpretation in the Land-Based Sector
- Undertake Estate Skills
The following information provides students with the entry requirements for this particular course.
- 5 GCSEs at Grade 9-4 or A*-C
- Must include English and Maths
- Science GCSE at Grade 9-6 or A*-B
- Satisfactory references from most recent School / College / Employer
Alternative qualifications or experience will be considered on application.
The programme includes a module of work experience. This should be in the animal or supporting industries. A portfolio of evidence of the placement will need to be completed, aspects of which will involve employers observations. This element will count towards the final grade and should be completed throughout the programme.
Method of Assessment
- Two externally-set and externally-moderated assignments
- Three externally-set, externally-marked exams and sat under examination conditions
- Portfolio of evidence
- Three externally-set and internally-marked assessments
After Completion of Your Course...
You may wish to progress onto further learning in Higher Education. You could study courses such as:
- Animal Management Foundation Degree
- Animal Science Foundation Degree
- BSc (Hons) in Animal Science
- BSc (Hons) in Animal Management
On completion of this course, students could seek employment within the following roles:
- Veterinary Practice Lab Technician
- Veterinary Practice Lab Assistant
- Veterinary Practice Clinical Assistant
- Animal Care Assistant - managing the day to day care of companion animal patients under the supervision of a veterinary nursing team.
- Equine Technician - assisting an equine vet team with the investigation and treatment of horses.
- Lay Assistant - carrying out designated tasks on farms in support of a farm animal vet team.
- Animal Husbandry Technician
- Research Assistant (desk-based)