About the Course
Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management (720) is for learners who have a passion for caring and working with animals either directly hands-on or within the many ancillary services or businesses.
The qualification provides a wide range of specialist technical practical skills, knowledge and understanding preparing learners for careers either in positions that are more technical or within the animal care sector such as pet stores, kennels, catteries and zoos. Additionally the qualification provides a stepping stone for those who wish to progress their learning at higher education level.
Areas of Study
This qualification consists of the following mandatory and selected optional specialist units.
The proportion of mandatory content ensures that all learners are following a coherent programme of study and acquiring the knowledge, understanding and skills that will be recognised and valued.
- Principles of Health and Safety
- Undertake and Review Work Related Experience in the Land Based Industries
- Animal Health and Husbandry
- Animal Feeding and Nutrition
- Animal Behaviour and Communication
- Biological Systems of Animals
- Animal Welfare and Breeding
- Pet Store Design and Management
- Fundamentals of Science
- Kennel and Cattery Management
Optional Specialist Units
Students will also study three optional specialist units (as determined by WUC Course lead) from the following:
- Animal Training
- Aquatics Welfare and Breed Development
- Avian Health and Husbandry
- Animal Nursing
- Farm Livestock Husbandry and Welfare
- Inheritance and Genetics
- Chemistry for Biological Technicians
- Cell Biology and Genetics
- Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Dog Grooming
- Science Investigation and Report Writing
- Pet Allied Services
- Small Animal Rehabilitation
- Undertake Estate Skills
- Business Management in the Land-Based Sector
- Customer Care and Retail Merchandising
- Undertake a Specialist Project in the Land-based Sector
The following information provides students with the entry requirements for this particular course.
- 5 GCSEs at Grade 9-4 or A*-C
- Must include English, Maths and Science
- Satisfactory references from most recent school, college or employer
Course Prerequisite (direct entry to second year):
Level 3 Advanced Technical Certificate in Animal Management
Alternative qualifications or experience will be considered on application.
The programme includes a module of work experience. This should be in the animal or supporting industries. A portfolio of evidence of the placement will need to be completed, aspects of which will involve employers observations. This element will count towards the final grade and should be completed throughout the programme.
Method of Assessment
- Two externally set, externally moderated assignments
- Two externally set and externally marked exams, sat under examination conditions
- Portfolio of evidence
- Two unit assignments
- Optional unit assessments as required
After Completion of Your Course...
After completion of the Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management (720), you can progress to a Higher Education course such as:
- Animal Management Foundation Degree
- BSc (Hons) in Animal Science
- BSc (Hons) in Animal Management
- BSc (Hons) in Animal Management with Wildlife Conservation
After completion, it is likely that you will enter the industry by working within an animal welfare organisation, a veterinary practice, a wildlife park or perhaps a business such as a pet store or feed company. As you will have gained a breadth and depth of skills and knowledge over a wide range of units, you could progress within work to become a:
- Animal centre assistant
- Kennel and cattery worker/supervisor
- Animal hospital care assistant
- Apprentice in an animal care business
- Pet store assistant