About the Course
This qualification consists of a range of mandatory units. These will provide you with an understanding of the skills and knowledge that are important when you are working in a floristry setting, or progressing to further learning and training in this area.
You will learn about different flowers and plants and how to look after them. You will also learn that there is more to floristry than flowers and that for florists to be successful, they need to understand their tools, environment and the finishing touches that make a difference. With this, you will develop an understanding of design principles and the skills needed to apply these to the design and creation of floristry products. You will gain an understanding of how floristry business operate and develop skills needed to interact with customers and identify their needs.
- Working in the floristry industry
- Preparing to create floristry designs
- Creating floristry designs
- Customer service
- Caring for and maintaining floristry products
- Floristry design principles
- Health and safety for the land-based industries
The following information provides students with the entry requirements for this particular course.
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 9-3 or A*-D
- Must include in English and Maths at no less than Grade 3 or Grade D
- Satisfactory references from most recent school, college or employer
Alternative qualifications or experience will be considered on application.
On this course you will have a work placement one day per week. You will receive College help to find a suitable placement for a total of 150 hours in the peak periods of Floristry calender.
Method of Assessment
Units are assessed using a wide variety of methods including through forms of practical assessment and examinations.
Students will sit:
- One externally set, externally moderated assignment
- One externally set, externally marked exam, sat under exam conditions
- One externally set, internally marked Health and Safety assignment
After Completion of Your Course...
This qualification provides you with all the skills required to either become employed in the floristry industry, for example as a trainee florist or junior florist, or progress to a higher level qualification such as Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma in Floristry or a floristry apprenticeship.