Level 2 Extended Certificate in Work-Based Animal Care
About the Course
This part-time City & Guilds Level 2 Extended Certficate in Animal Care course is ideal for those who are new to the animal care industry and would like to gain a recognised qualification related to their work. The course can be studied either as an Apprenticeship or as a 'stand alone' student.
Learners will gain practical skills, develop sound working practices, and essential industry knowledge.
This qualification consists of the following mandatory units.
- Animal health; diseases, disorders, health checks, first aid for animals
- Animal feeding; feed plans, feeding for life stages, feed preparation
- Animal accommodation; enclosure maintenance, cleaning protocols, bio-security
- Workplace competence; personal progression, customer service skills, CV development
- Animal biology; anatomy and physiology, reproduction, animal nutrition
- Animal handling and behaviour
The following information provides students with the entry requirements for this particular course.
- 2 GCSEs in Maths and English at Grade 2 or higher, plus ideally GCSE Science at grade 2 or higher
- Satisfactory references from most recent School / College / Employer
- Evidence of a secured placement in a suitable workplace, which you must find yourself
Alternative qualifications or experience will be considered on application.
Method of Assessment
Assessments will be a combination of practical and written. Written assessments include reports, projects, posters, leaflets and presentations. Practical assessments will take place in both the college animal unit and by the assessor in the workplace.
Stand alone learners will have no end of year exam.
Apprentice learners will understand an End Point Assessment after 12 months on program, which consists of an external examiner assessing the learner undergoing a practical task and performing a professional discussion.
After Completion of Your Course...
Progression: Student that successfully complete the level 2 can progress onto the level 3 diploma in work-based animal care. Full-time level 3 options are available for students that have their GCSE English and maths at a C/4 grade and complete the 205 unit to a good standard. These progression options are at the discretion of the acting course managers and will also depend on student conduct.
Employment: Level 2 work based students will be equipped with the necessary skills to enter an animal based career at entry level with a range of industry related and transferable skills. Jobs include but are not limited to kennel workers, pet shop assistants, rescue center assistants, wildlife hospital technicians, veterinary care assistants, stable hands, farm hands, petting zoo assistants.