Sport & Health
About the Course
The range of sporting disciplines required for this course include: Personal Fitness, Sports Coaching, Personal Training, Anatomy & Physiology, Nutrition and Outdoor Adventure Activities.
This qualification consists of the following mandatory and selected optional specialist units.
The proportion of mandatory content ensures that all learners are following a coherent programme of study and acquiring the knowledge, understanding and skills that will be recognised and valued.
- Fitness for Sport and Exercise
- Practical Sports Performance
- Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Performance
Optional Specialist Units
Students will study a selection of optional specialist units (as determined by WUC Course lead) from the following.
- The Mind and Sports Performance
- The Sports Performer in Action
- Training for Personal Fitness
- Leading Sports Activities
- Promotion and Sponsorship in Sport
- Lifestyle and Well-being
- Injury and the Sports Performer
- Running a Sports Event
- The Sport and Active Leisure Industry
- Profiling Sports Performance
- Carrying Out a Sports-related Project
- Designing Exercise Programmes
- Expedition Experience
- Practical Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Practical Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activity Leadership
- Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activity Leadership
- Work Experience in Sport
Additional Learning Goal / Qualification
YMCA Level 1 Award in Fitness & Physical Activity (Fitness industry qualification)
The following information provides students with the entry requirements for this particular course.
- 2 GCSEs at Grade 4-3 (C-D) or above
- Must include English and Maths at no less than Grade 3 or Grade D
- Satisfactory references from most recent school, college or employer
Alternative qualifications or experience will be considered on application.
This is an integral part of the course and will reflect your own personal interests.
Method of Assessment
These include various forms of written assignments, practical assessments, projects and presentations.
After Completion of Your Course...
This qualification can lead to many roles within the health, sport and fitness industry such as Sports Coaching, Gym Instructing & Personal Training as well as areas within Sports Development and Leisure.