About the Course
This course is offered by the college for people who are interested in working in the dog grooming industry and have had little or no experience with dog grooming.
These lessons will take place in a classroom and will consist of:
- Points of the dog
- Equipment and care
- Handling and restraint of dogs
- Normal and abnormal health in dogs
- Kennel club breed groups
- Coat types
- Customer care
Please note that additional study support is available to students should they require any assistance with any part of their course.
Practical lessons take place in the colleges commercially run dog grooming parlour, students get a hands on approach to see how a parlour would be run.
Who is the Course for?
This qualification is suitable if you are aged 16 years, or older. (For under 19's please see the following entry requirements)
- Must have English and Maths at no less than Grade 3 or Grade D
- 16-18 must have a 2 days per week workplace
- Satisfactory references from most recent school, college or employer
All students that do not have a Grade 4 or Grade C must attend GCSE sessions
Method of Assessment
- prepare and groom dogs prior to bathing
- bathe and clean dogs
- use equipment used for grooming or removing hair from animals
- control and restrain animals
- dry dogs and prepare their coats for styling
- Basic trimming of a dog's coat
- Cleanliness and bio security of the animal care working environment.