Student Visa

As a non-EEA student you need a visa to study at Writtle University College. Most of you will already have a Student Visa which is the category for adult students who want to come to or remain in the UK for their post-16 education.

If your current period of leave is coming to an end you must make your new application in good time. Please visit international admissions so that you can be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). This is now the only route to gaining a Student Visa.

For detailed information about your Student Visa application please download this Writtle University College Guidance Document

Please also visit:
GOV.UK Student Visa, apply online and guidance
UKCISA Guidance - Making a Student Visa Application

Schengen Visa: visiting Europe

If you are not a European Economic Area national and want to travel to Europe, you may be required to apply for a Schengen visa before you travel.

The Schengen Visa Scheme enables non-EEA nationals to obtain one visa to visit a number of designated countries within the EEA as a tourist; it allows short stays or visits of up to 3 months in any 6 month period.

EEA countries currently participating in the scheme

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

Evidence of your studies

To apply you will need to supply various documents including a Letter confirming your student status as proof of your studies which can be obtained from the registry office.

Top tips

  • Apply as early as possible as it can take some time to obtain a Schengen Visa.
  • Make sure you have adequate travel and medical insurance that includes repatriation to your home country.
  • The UK is not a Schengen state so you can not enter the UK using a Schengen visa, you must make sure you have a valid UK visa for re-entry into the UK if you are planning to return after your trip.
  • You cannot apply if you are in the UK with a type of visitor visa.

Information and Advice

Check the website for the country you would like to visit. To find a London based Embassy/Consulate see the London Diplomatic List on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

Please read the UKCISA factsheet for more information. If you have any additional questions you will need to ask the Embassy you are applying to as the application forms and requirements vary from country to country.

UKCISA Guidance - Schengen Visa FAQ

Working After Your Studies

In April 2011 the government introduced an annual quota on applications for Tier 2 of the points-based system; however students transferring from Student Visa to the Tier 2 route are not included in this quota.

The normal Tier 2 requirements will apply, except for the Resident Labour Market Test. i.e. A company hiring International students transferring from Student Visa to the Tier 2 route are not required to advertise a position to prove that there is no suitable EU/EEA candidate currently resident in the UK.

The Tier 2 route provides leave to remain for three years with the option to extend for a further two years if still employed by a Tier 2 sponsor.

Tier 2 process (brief guide)

  • Your employer must have or apply for a licence from the UKVI to employ anyone from outside of the EU. UKVI Register of Sponsors
  • Once the licence has been granted the employer is able to issue Certificates of Sponsorship (CoS) with a unique reference number (similar to the Certificate of Acceptance for students visa applications). The CoS is not an actual certificate or document but an online record which holds information about the job and your personal details.
  • Once the CoS has been issued an application for leave to remain under Tier 2 can be made. The applicant will need to meet the Points Assessment for Tier 2. The application must be submitted before leave to remain in the UK as a student under Student Visa expires.
  • Jobs offered under the Tier 2 route must be of skilled level (graduate). Minimum salary £20,000, or the minimum set out in the relevant UKVI codes of practice.
  • It is possible to change employer and roles. A 'change of employment' application and a new CoS are required to start a new job with a different Tier 2 sponsor.

For detailed information and updates about the Tier 2 route please refer to the website.

See also UKCISA Guidance - Working After Your Studies