Sport & Health
Health and wellbeing is a popular and expanding industry, with a growing range of job opportunities for people who want to work with professional athletes, are passionate about sports and leading an active lifestyle and want to help others improve their quality of life.
DID YOU KNOW?
- As part of your studies, you will go on trips to places such as Thetford Forest, Exmoor and Redbridge Cycling Centre
- WUC is ideally located in the heart of Essex with easy access to local outdoor sporting centres such as Danbury Mountain Biking, the Lock Climbing Wall, and Chelmsford Canoe Club
- Past students have found jobs in organisations such as the NHS, Nuffield Health and Harlow Town Football Club
- You will be able to work towards a CYQ Level 2 Fitness Instructor qualification as part of your course
- You will be encouraged to represent WUC by participating in the British University and Colleges Sport (BUCS) competitions
- Students have gone on to gain scholarships, most recently in athletics at Elon University in North Carolina
- You can follow the Sports department on Facebook. Search for 'WrittleFESport'
Want to make an impact?
By studying Sport at WUC, you will learn from an established team of lecturers who have significant experience in the industry, and from those who are currently competing and coaching at international levels representing Great Britain.
Our campus has extensive sporting facilities including floodlit tennis and netball courts, football and rugby pitches, a squash court, cricket square, and a sports hall.
Our recently developed recreation and fitness centre is equipped with cardiovascular and resistance machinery, with a functional fitness and free-weights area, and a fitness studio used for classes and teaching. You will have access to the latest equipment, such as watt bikes, video analysis equipment, health-screening tools and gas analysis equipment.
You will study topics such as anatomy and physiology, coaching and performance, sports psychology, nutrition, injuries and rehabilitation. And if you choose to specialise in outdoor adventure, you will learn how to lead land and water based activities such as navigation, mountain biking, clay pigeon shooting, paddle-boarding and canoeing.
You will develop the knowledge and skills to support people to make significant healthy lifestyle changes and perform at the highest sporting levels. You will also be able to work towards a CYQ Level 2 Fitness Instructor qualification.
When you've finished your studies, you could find a job in the sports industry and work in areas such as coaching, performance analysis, sports therapy, marketing, fitness centre management, nutrition, psychology, personal training or teaching. If you study outdoor adventure you could go on to work in outdoors or expedition planning and leading.
Your qualification will also prepare you to study a sports-related subject at a higher level, such as a higher education diploma or degree.
Aged 19 or over?
Don't let money get in the way of your education.
The Advanced Learner Loan could fund your course.
To learn more and discover if you qualify, visit