Further Education Financial Hardship Assistance

Financial assistance is available to help students who are finding it difficult to commence, or continue their studies, due to financial hardship. Applications can be made by students who meet residency requirements, have a low household income and/or are facing financial difficulties. Levels of support vary on individual circumstances and each application is individually assessed. Assistance is not an entitlement and is subject to the availability of funds.

To apply for support through the Further Education Support Funds (16-19, 19+, Advanced Learning Loan Bursary and Free School Meal entitlement), you will need to complete and submit an application form (which are available in hard copy from Student Finance office or by using the hyperlinks below) to Student Finance, along with evidence of income or any benefits received.

Vulnerable 16-19 year olds* studying / continuing in full-time education can receive up to £1,200 bursary funding per academic year. If you think you may be eligible for this funding, please contact Student Finance Department.

* Vulnerable 16-19 year olds includes learners:

  • Aged 16-17 and 'In Care';
  • Aged 16-18 and Leaving the Care system;
  • Aged 16-18 and in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit;
  • Aged 16-18 and in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

Further Education Support Funding

Bursary applications for academic year 2021/22

Bursary application forms for academic year 2021/22 will be published here in late August.

For all Further Education support funding, including the Vulnerable Student Bursary and Free Meals - please apply online. Alternatively, download (PDF) and complete the relevant application form (please read the policy and guidance document before completing your application) below, or collect a paper copy from Student Finance office - L09:

Further Education - 16-19 Bursary Fund

Policy & Guidance 2021-22
Application Form 2021-22 (Online)
Application Form 2021-22 (PDF)

Further Education - 19+ Bursary Fund

Policy & Guidance 2021-22
Application Form 2021-22 (Online)
Application Form 2021-22 (PDF)

Further Education - Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund

Policy & Guidance 2021-22
Application Form 2021-22 (Online)
Application Form 2021-22 (PDF)

Please Note

Completed download (PDF) applications can either be posted to Writtle University College or scanned and emailed as attachments to: bursaries@writtle.ac.uk - incomplete applications will not be processed, please check before you return the application that it is complete and all evidence is also scanned and attached.

Care to Learn Scheme

The Care to Learn scheme is available if you are aged under 20 years at the start of your FE course, to help pay for your childcare costs while you are learning. You can get:

  • £160 per child per week if you live outside London
  • £175 per child per week if you live in London

The childcare provider must be OFSTED registered.

For further details please telephone:
0800 121 8989 OR
email: C2L@studentbursarysupport.co.uk

Family Fund

The government allocates money to the Family Fund which then provides grants to families on low incomes who are the parent or carer of a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 0-17 who lives with you. To find out more about the Family Fund go to: https://www.familyfund.org.uk/