Disabilities and careers support

Starting in a new environment can be both exciting and scary at the same time, regardless of whether you need some extra support or not. It is important to remember that if you do need some extra support in college, the college is very keen to provide it. Letting the college know before you arrive is advisable, so that the support can be discussed with you and planned accordingly. This will then help us to help you to achieve your potential.

If you have had an Education and Health Care Plan written for you at school, a copy of this would be helpful too. Your school SENCO and the Children and Young People with Disabilities Service will help ensure this is updated to make sure the college knows what support you need. See our Support for Disability, Dyslexia and Mental Health page for more information.

From a careers point of view, we are here to support all students to plan their next steps once they have completed their course. This could be another further education or higher education course, here or elsewhere. Alternatively you might be looking at finding work, or an apprenticeship. We can talk through the options, and help you decide what you would prefer to do, and support you in applying. An element in these discussions, if you want it to be, could be to talk through if or how a disability might impact on your choices and how to present this information in a positive manner. Many students with disabilities often find that succeeding at college gives them many positive attributes and skills that employers and other educational establishments really value. If you are concerned about whether to disclose about your disability to an employer, there is more information and advice here, TargetJobs. If you would like to talk this through in more detail, book an appointment to see the college careers adviser.

If you are applying for a Higher Education course, there is also the Disabled Student Allowance, which can pay for additional support and equipment - for instance a laptop for students with dyslexia. See Funding for Disability, Dyslexia and Mental Health page for more information.

Useful Links

These following websites might be of use:

Writtle University College
Support for Disability, Dyslexia and Mental Health
Essex Local Offer
Services and support for special educational needs and disability
Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)