Support for Deaf & Hearing Impaired Students
Our experienced in house communicator team at Writtle are here to provide 'total communication' support to our deaf and hearing impaired students.
They can work with you to identify your support needs. This can include:
- Involvement in transition from school/college, if appropriate;
- Advice and guidance on your course and the one to one support we can provide;
- Liaison with your course tutor(s)/lecture(s) regarding your impairment and adjustments that they can make to help you access your course;
- Involvement in admissions procedures, interviews and induction;
- Support in making an application to the Disabled Student Allowance if you are a HE student;
- Liaison with Accommodation Services, if appropriate, to provide you with adapted accommodation (such as alarm alerts);
- Links with external agencies.
Access to learning is provided through BSL, SSE, note-taking or a combination of all. Communication support is available in lectures, off-site visits, tutorials, one to one sessions, open days and interviews. The team also run deaf awareness training with peer groups and lecturers. Teacher of the Deaf provision is available for specific teaching support and access arrangements and we have a hearing loop system in lecture theatres and the main hall.
Writtle University College has been supporting deaf students for over 10 years. Most of our students progress to jobs within their chosen industry, go on to University or stay with us at the college to further their studies.
Our aim at Writtle is to provide our hearing impaired students with equal access to all aspects of college life so they have a fulfilling and enjoyable experience.
This is what some of our students say about their time at Writtle
I have sign language communicators in all my lessons, both in the classroom and on the yard.
I'm enjoying everything I'm learning and don't want it to end yet!
Work-Based Level 2 Horse Care
The communicator support has also been invaluable with help improving my written work, proof reading my assignments and helping me access all areas of my course.
They are all so welcoming and want what is best for each individual student and I do not know what I would have done without their support.
Marielle Camilla Gaffney
BSc (Hons) Agriculture
Further Education information evenings and Higher Education open days are an excellent way to find out about courses and discuss the support you require. Please let us know if you are coming along and would like a communicator to be available.