Certificate of Higher Education in Animal Studies
This course offers a vocational approach to the study of animals at Higher Education level. Achieved by incorporating practical animal husbandry skills into a broad programme of academic study, students will develop a sound understanding of scientific principles whilst also developing practical competence with a wide range of species.
|SEMESTER A||SEMESTER B|
|Professional Skills for the Animal Industry|
|Ethics of Animal Use||Animals in Society|
|Introduction to Biochemistry|
|Ecology and Evolution|
Students can select one 15 credit optional module from stage two.
UCAS Tariff Points
GCE A Levels
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
BTEC Level 3 Diploma
An equivalent or higher combination of grades to that indicated above will also be accepted.
All applicants must hold a minimum of four GCSE passes at grade C/4 or above to include English, Maths and Science.
Writtle University College welcomes applicants studying Access to HE Diploma courses. For more information please contact Admissions.
Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL/APEL)
The following list shows the variety of learning and teaching methods experienced on this course.
- Animal handling practicals involving work with a wide range of domesticated and captive animal species
- Seminars and debates
- Inquiry-based learning
- Online quizzes, wikis and activities
- Laboratory practical classes including dissections
This course provides a mix of assessment methods including.
- Practical assessments with companion and zoo animals, farm livestock and horses
- Examinations - both multiple choice and essay questions
- Presentations - both individually and in small groups
- Essays and technical reports
- Assessed seminars
- Experimental work and laboratory reports
- Poster presentations
This list of careers below are those that graduates from this programme have been successful in.
- Animal nutrition trainee
- Retail jobs in the pet industry
- Cattery and Kennel supervisors
- Animal Welfare Officer
- RSPCA technician
- Progression to BSc