Certificate of Higher Education in Agriculture
UCAS Code: D405
The Higher Certificate course is intended to provide a taster of studying Agriculture at higher education level. It covers aspects of agricultural science, crop production and livestock production, as well as allowing students to gain an appreciation of the industry.
Students will also acquire the study skills necessary to enable them to progress to a higher award if desired.
UCAS Tariff Points
GCE A Levels
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
BTEC Level 3 Diploma
An equivalent or higher combination of grades to that indicated above will also be accepted.
All applicants must hold a minimum of four GCSE passes at grade C/4 or above to include English, Maths and Science.
Writtle University College welcomes applicants studying Access to HE Diploma courses. For more information please contact Admissions.
Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL/APEL)
The following list shows the variety of learning and teaching methods experienced on this course.
- Farm walks and practicals
- Lectures and tutorials
- Seminars and debates
- Inquiry-based learning
- Farm and business visits
- Online quizzes, wikis and activities
- Case studies
Students are assessed in a variety of ways many of which are centred on the College farm, these include.
- Practical assessments with both livestock and crops
- Examinations - both multiple choice and essay questions
- Presentations - both individually and in small groups
- Essays and technical reports
- Assessed seminars
- Case studies
- Experimental work and laboratory reports
- Poster presentations
This list of careers below are those that graduates from this programme have been successful in.
- Farm Manager
- Animal nutritionist
- Land agent
- Nutrition company sales representative
- Veterinary pharmaceutical and equipment supplies
- Post-graduate study