We are pleased to confirm that Writtle University College and ARU (Anglia Ruskin University) are joining together. The merger will happen during the 23/24 academic year. Writtle’s full range of Higher and Further Education courses will continue to be delivered on site at the Writtle campus, enhanced by resources available at nearby ARU. If you are starting your course in September 2024, your degree will be awarded by ARU. Find out more about ARU, including our recent Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework, at aru.ac.uk.
The BSc (Hons) Animal Science (Zoo and Wildlife Conservation) - (Top-up) course offers students the opportunity to extend their FdA, HND or DipHE Level 5 qualification.
Our BSc (Hons) Animal Management (Zoo and Wildlife Conservation) - (Top-up) programme focuses more on holistic approach to animal husbandry with modules on applied behaviour and welfare, breeding and animal health management alongside core topics of behaviour, nutrition and health.
Writtle University College is an Educational Associate of BIAZA, the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums
|SEMESTER A||SEMESTER B|
|Applied Nutrition and Feeding
|Advanced Animal Health Science
|Genetics and Genomics
|Applied Behaviour and Animal Welfare
|Applied Issues in Wildlife Conservation
|Developments in Zoo Management
Applicants should have a Level 5 qualification relevant to Animal Science (Zoo and Wildlife Conservation).
- Foundation Degree
- Higher National Diploma (HND)
- or Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
The following list shows the variety of learning and teaching methods experienced on this course.
- Animal handling practicals involving work with a wide range of domesticated and captive animal species
- Seminars and debates
- Inquiry-based learning
- Online quizzes, wikis and activities
- Laboratory practical classes including dissections
This course provides a mix of assessment methods including.
- Practical assessments with companion and zoo animals, farm livestock and horses
- Examinations - both multiple choice and essay questions
- Presentations - both individually and in small groups
- Essays and technical reports
- Assessed seminars
- Case studies
- Experimental work and laboratory reports
- Poster presentations
Join Dr Eleanor Drinkwater and Darren Veitch as they present a series of fascinating, animal packed episodes that culminate in an interactive and enlightening Subject Spotlight focussed on Animal Management & Science.