The BSc (Hons) Animal Science (Pet Behaviour and Welfare) - (Top-up) course offers students the opportunity to extend their FdA, HND or DipHE Level 5 qualification.
Our BSc (Hons) Animal Management (Pet Behaviour and Welfare) - (Top-up) programme focuses more on holistic approach to animal husbandry with modules on applied behaviour and welfare, breeding and animal health management alongside core topics of behaviour, nutrition and health.
Professional Membership and Recognition
Following completion of the BSc (Hons) Animal Science (Pet Behaviour and Welfare) - (Top-up), individual support by experts will be provided for those who wish to apply for provisional membership of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC) or recognition from the Animal Behaviour and Training Council (ABTC) via the ABTC Accredited Prior Experience and Learning (APEL) process.
|SEMESTER A||SEMESTER B|
|Applied Nutrition and Feeding
|Advanced Animal Health Science
|Genetics and Genomics
|Applied Behaviour and Animal Welfare
|Clinical Animal Behaviour
|Developing Clinical Practice
Applicants should have a Level 5 qualification relevant to Animal Science (Pet Behaviour and Welfare).
- Foundation Degree
- Higher National Diploma (HND)
- or Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
Learning & Teaching Methods
The following list shows the variety of learning and teaching methods experienced on this course.
- Animal handling practicals involving work with a wide range of domesticated and captive animal species
- Seminars and debates
- Inquiry-based learning
- Online quizzes, wikis and activities
- Laboratory practical classes including dissections
This course provides a mix of assessment methods including.
- Practical assessments with companion and zoo animals, farm livestock and horses
- Examinations - both multiple choice and essay questions
- Presentations - both individually and in small groups
- Essays and technical reports
- Assessed seminars
- Case studies
- Experimental work and laboratory reports
- Poster presentations
Join Dr Eleanor Drinkwater and Darren Veitch as they present a series of fascinating, animal packed episodes that culminate in an interactive and enlightening Subject Spotlight focussed on Animal Management & Science.