Interested in employing an Apprentice?
Temporary enhanced employer incentive for hiring a new apprentice - £3,000
Apprenticeships are a fantastic way to grow your business and now there is the bonus of an enhanced incentive for employers who recruit a new apprentice between 1st October 2021 to 31st January 2022.
The key points for this temporary incentive are:
- The apprentice must be a new employee - so the apprentice can’t have had a contract of employment with the company within the last 6 months (however if previously the learner has been self-employed or only a volunteer they should still be eligible)
- Only applies for apprentices starting between 1st October 2021 to 31st January 2022
- Paid in two instalments, one at 3 months and one at 12 months
- You will be able to claim £3,000 per apprentice, regardless of age.
- Applications close on 15 May 2022
The temporary enhanced employer incentive payment is in addition to the existing £1,000 an employer will already get for taking on an apprentice who is either:
- Aged 16 to 18 years old
- Under 25 and has an education, health and care plan or has been in the care of their local authority
The additional COVID-19 incentive is only available to employers for newly hired staff. So if you would like us to help you advertise to fill a new position, please contact us for details on how we can help you with our free recruitment service.
We offer apprenticeships in:
- Arborist Level 2
- Animal Care and Welfare Assistant Level 2
- Horticulture and Landscape Operative Level 2
- Horticulture Supervisor Level 3
- Horse Care - Equine Groom Level 2 and Senior Equine Groom Level 3
- Sports Turf Operative Level 2
- Golf Greenkeeper Level 2
- Vet Nursing Level 3
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07885 220477 for more information
What can an Apprentice do for your business?
Apprenticeships provide real, measurable business benefits. They bring productive, enthusiastic and loyal people into your business and help you to demonstrate your commitment to investing in your staff. 80% of companies who employ apprentices agree they make the workplace more productive, whilst 88% of employers who employ apprentices believe that apprenticeships lead to a more motivated and satisfied workforce. For more information visit the Apprenticeship website
You don't need to be a large company to take on an Apprentice; we work with a variety of companies, from micro up to large public sector organisations.
What commitment does an employer need to make?
An apprentice will be your employee and will need a contract of employment for at least the duration of the Apprenticeship. On average our level 2 Apprenticeships take around 14 - 20 months and the level 3 Advanced Apprenticeships around 20 - 30 months; however the time scale of an Apprenticeship is flexible and will depend on the Apprentices prior experience and the course they are enrolled on.
- Wages - Employers are required to pay an apprentice a minimum of £4.30 per hour (from April 2021). However learners over 19yrs must be paid the national minimum wage when their second year of study starts.
- Health, Safety and Safeguarding - Companies will need to comply with current Health & Safety Regulations. Our staff will carry out an on-site inspection and work with you to ensure the apprentice works in a safe environment.
- Support - As an employer you will need to work alongside Writtle University College staff to provide a supportive environment for your apprentice. This includes releasing your apprentice to attend College when necessary and being involved with their on-site progress reviews every 10 - 12 weeks.
Apprenticeships at Writtle University College
We offer you the opportunity to complete an Apprenticeship in any of the following areas:
- Agriculture: livestock, arable & mixed farming
- Animal Care
- Environmental Conservation; Park Ranger, Estate Worker, Conservation Officer
- Equine Studies
- Horticulture; Landscaping, Greenkeeping, Groundsmanship, Parks, Gardens and Green Spaces
- Veterinary Nursing
Many employers contact us with a potential apprentice already in mind; this could be an existing member of staff who needs training to progress to a new role or a volunteer / casual worker who the company feel would be an asset to their company as an apprentice. However, if you are looking for a new member of staff Writtle University College can help manage the recruitment process on your behalf, or assist your existing HR department at every stage of the recruitment process. Your vacancies will be advertised on the National Apprenticeship Service and Writtle University College websites, as well as our dedicated Apprenticeship Facebook page. Services we can offer include:
- Receiving applications on your behalf
- Shortlisting suitable candidates
- Inviting candidates to Interview
- Providing sector specific staff to conducting interviews with you
Innovative Delivery Methods
Writtle University College are pleased to offer our apprentices the opportunity to use our E-portfolio system through Smart Assessor. This has advantages for both our apprentices and their employers. The system enables apprentices to access and manage their Diploma portfolio online or through the new phone app. Learners can easily submit photo or video evidence, track their progress, access teaching resources, check assessor feedback on work and contact their Training Officer.
Employers are also provided with secure login details to view their apprentice's progress, provide witness statements regarding their apprentice's work and contact their Writtle Training Officer, allowing them to be more involved with their apprentices study and progress.
Apprenticeships and work-based training are delivered by a highly skilled team of trainers/assessors with extensive industry experience in their specialist sectors. This gives employers piece of mind that training and learning is being delivered by an expert who understands the needs, pressures and sometimes unique requirements of the sector.
Short Courses for Industry
Writtle University College are able to offer our apprentices discounts on our commercial short courses, including vital competence and legislative training. Click here for more information the latest courses available.
If you are an employer interested in recruiting an apprentice, please contact Vicky Hitcham or Charlotte Puncher on 01245 424200 Ext 26060.