Writtle University College provides its students with a very unique experience whilst they study with us. Located in the Essex countryside on a picturesque 220 hectare campus, including beautiful landscaped gardens, Writtle University College is a very friendly community allowing students to make friendships that will last a lifetime.
On campusThere are a number of facilities and activities for students whilst on campus. The main social areas include:
- College Baa (bar) – this is the social hub of the community where students will meet outside of lectures and classes. The majority of our student events are held here including the themed nights during Freshers’ Week and throughout each term/semester, as well as the Christmas Ball and renowned Summer Ball! There is a beer garden too which is very popular during the Spring and Summer months!
- Recreation Centre – if you are the sporty type then the recreation centre is for you. You can enjoy the two squash courts, sports hall as well as the FREE fitness suite, which includes running machines, exercise bikes, rowing machines and free-weights area. A lot of the exercise classes will take place in the sports hall too allowing you to make friends and keep fit at the same time!
- Sports fields – if the Recreation Centre isn’t enough then you can join one of the College’s sports teams. Whether it is rugby, football, hockey or netball that interests you, there will be a chance for you to become part of a team. All of the College’s home fixtures take place on our extensive sports fields.
- Societies – we have a wide range of different clubs and societies available to our students. These societies are a great way to help students to settle into life at Writtle and meet like-minded people.
About WrittleThe village of Writtle is a very beautiful and picturesque place. Around the charming village green there are several pubs and restaurants as well as a ‘Co-op’ nearby where NUS card holders can get a discount (always handy).
There is also a bus route into Chelmsford City Centre too for those that do not drive or have access to their own vehicle.
About ChelmsfordThe nearest city is Chelmsford which is only a ten minute drive away and has so much to offer students.
- Pubs, bars and clubs – the lively pubs, bars and clubs including Evoke, Chicago’s, Missoula offer various student nights during the week with discounted entry and drinks.
- Shopping centres – Chelmsford High Street and the Meadows and High Chelmer Shopping Centres include a range of fashion, entertainment, health and beauty stores such as Topshop, H&M, Debenhams, Waterstones and Boots.
- Restaurants – Chelmsford offers a wide selection of restaurants and takeaways. These include English, Italian, Chinese and Indian cuisine.
- Leisure centre – the Riverside Leisure Centre, located just off Chelmsford High Street offers several swimming pools, indoor ice rink, a large sports hall, fitness suite and exercise classes.
- Cinema – the Odeon cinema complex shows a variety of the latest 3D and 2D films.
- Cathedral – this beautiful, historic building is the setting for our Higher Education graduation ceremony every September.
Chelmsford facts!Did you know that Chelmsford was awarded city status in 2012 as part of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee?
Did you know that Chelmsford is known as the “birthplace of radio”?
Did you know that Chelmsford has its own ice hockey and football team (Chelmsford Chieftains and Chelmsford City Football Club)?
Did you know that Chelmsford hosts the annual ‘V Festival’ in August which attracts international artists such as Beyoncé, Eminem, Rihanna, Kings of Leon and Calvin Harris! Hylands Park, which holds the event, is just a 15 minute walk from Writtle University College.
For more information go to www.chelmsford.gov.uk
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside!Essex is a coastal county and has several seaside locations. Southend-on-sea and Frinton-on-sea are two very popular hot spots for beach lovers during the summer months!
London lifeChelmsford train station means you can get access into Central London within just 40 minutes!
The capital city of England! London has something for everyone and is one of the most famous and beautiful cities in the world. Whether you’re interested in music, theatre, food, museums or shopping, the list goes on and on.
Having London within such a short distance from Writtle makes the College a truly unique place to study.
For more information about London go to www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/